21 January 2008

Barack Hussein Obama

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200712/obama
I read this article on the plane ride back to Missouri, and I found it to be very informative one of my favorite presidential candidates.
First of all, The Atlantic is possibly my new favorite magazine. The writing is just phenomenal. I would like to see more photos, but that's me: a photojournalism student. Overall, the magazine, and this article in particular, is just excellent. This article is all about Obama, and here are just a few of my thoughts on it.
One of the more thought-provoking points in the article comes when Andrew Sullivan is discussing the uniqueness of Obama's face and the impact it in itself has on his candidacy. He is obviously different from any other president in history, in both his ethnicity and upbringing. And, when it comes to the war in Iraq, this fact may absolutely come into play. It seems ironic when Sullivan presents the situation of the young Pakistani Muslim, seeing the face of Barack Hussein Obama as "now the alleged enemy."
Secondly, the article leaves me wondering what sort of "Christian" Obama is and what sort of faith he has. Sullivan thinks it critical that Obama is not born again. But the article continues and includes an excerpt from a 2004 speech, in which Obama "described his religious conversion." Obama spoke of a choice he made: "I submitted myself to [God's] will, and dedicated myself to discovering his truth and carrying out his works." Ok...that's all well and good, but it makes me wonder if he thinks he is saved because he knows about Jesus Christ and has "affirmed [his] Christian faith." Has he actually accepted Jesus for his life? Does he love Jesus? Apparently not.
Although Obama may not have the years of experience in political office that his opponents do, I still have a lot of respect for him. I was pleasantly surprised to read that he left a comfortable upper-class East Coast career to join a community on Chicago's South Side. That, to me, shows character.
Anyway, read the article. Let me know what you think.

0 questions/comments: