13 February 2008

Half a World Away

"Security forces have launched a search for two journalists from the American television network CBS who were kidnapped at gunpoint from their hotel in the Iraqi city of Basra."
For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to travel to the ends of the earth. I've wanted to document what goes on a million miles away; in the remote villages of Asia, the drug-ridden streets of Latin America, and, eventually, the war-torn countries of the Middle East. I want to see it all.
This recent awful incident, along with others like it (Daniel Pearl), however, makes me think a little bit more about my hopes and dreams. This isn't to say I don't want to travel or be a journalist anymore. But what happens, when (God-willing) I have a job, doing what I love everyday, and Mr. Boss comes up to me and says, "Catherine, please go to the most dangerous country in the world and get some good shots."? It's nothing I have an answer to, but something I am thinking about.

1 questions/comments:

Brian said...

REM